4.17.2010

Magpie Tales Photo Prompt No.10 "Celinda's Time"


"Celinda's Time"

Today I saw time
End the battle and allow
The eyes to show truth

Time for her to go
Refusing our denial
She is strong waiting

In time I will stand
At her grave, time will be still
Grieving the life lost.

Haiku Poem, ©2010 Janice Stiles-Boults
For my first niece in Stage 4 Cancer, nearing the end.


This week's photo prompt reminded me of
The Persistence of Time
by Salvador Dali


The Persistence of time is also sometimes known as The Persistence of Memory, Melting Clocks, Soft Watches and Droopy Watches. Officially however, it is known as La persistencia de la memoria.

Created in 1931 by Salvador Dali and owned by the Museum of Modern Art in New York since 1934, this seminal work of surrealistic art is certainly Dali’s and the Surrealist movements most recognisable icon. The painting represents Dali’s thoughts on softness and hardness, which was a theme of much of his work during that part of his life.



The imagery of The Persistence of Time is often read as an illustration of Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, where gravity can be seen to distort time.
 
 
Watch photograph courtesy of Willow @ http://willowmanor.blogspot.com/
Willow, of "Life at Willow Manor", began Magpie Tales in February. Every week writers sign up and then post a poem or fictional story to go with a photograph prompt that Willow provides. Check out http://magpietales.blogspot.com/ to join in the fun!
Dali photo and information courtesy of Google Search and Images

26 comments:

  1. Poignant, sad, moving, and hopeful; the prompt lent itself quite well to your interpretation -- well written... and I have a serigraph of that Dali piece hanging in my office...
    ...rob
    Image & Verse

    ReplyDelete
  2. The depth of it forced me to read it over again. Very beautiful. One of the best magpies I've read so far

    ReplyDelete
  3. So painful to see a loved one being taken away. Beautifully written, I can hear the love you have for her in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So painful to read your work ... but uplifting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you work was honest and hit straight through the heart. it had to be heart-felt by you for it to have such a poignant message. a job well-done, although the subject was so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At times like losing a loved one we often write the best prose and the best poetry. Your feelings show through the words with strength.
    Star

    ReplyDelete
  7. "time will be still" is a powerful verse. The "End" "go" and "stand"; time as an action the verbage which comments on the which brings to mind "there is a time to be born, a time to die" quote of the Bible "There is a season". This sad time, too shall pass. The Persistence of Memory I did get to see an original Dali in the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in NYNY. I was amazed at how tiny and detailed the work. The melting clocks reminds me of the late 60's early 70's. Not sure if you'd remember that time. Einstein said "time and space" merge. They certainly do warp in the Dali painting. Excellent mood evoked in this poem; one of resigned compliance to time. Who can master time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That´s very nice, well written. And interesting thoughts too! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a powerful & extremely touching verse. A wonderful magpie SunDance, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so sorry to hear of your families sadness. Writing poetry, to me is a good therapy. Such an ache in your heart and it comes through. I lost my only sister at 32. Haven't been the same since.
    Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sun Dance

    Lose breeds a peculiar patience -- there is something we gain that accompanies the letting go
    I offer you that which was offered me -- faith, prayers, the acceptance of the only thing we really have is the gift of the moment shared with all we love.

    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Magpie just simply beautiful..
    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely yet poignant poem. I remember reading this feeling in the eyes of the sick, the bitter acceptance that all efforts would be vain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful magpie...though sad. it seems the older we get the more death darkens our door as we see loved ones pass into the night to wait patiently on us...

    ReplyDelete
  15. words from the heart are timeless.
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband has a "Celinda" in his family tree. I spent quite a lot of time researching her several years back. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
    I watched my late Dad died too.
    mine is here
    this is my first magpie tale.
    have you a great week.
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  18. Time as both protagonist and witness. Very beautiful. (I didn't find it sad at all)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Janice, this is a fantastic poem! It will be one I'll want to read again and again.... One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks everyone for your kind comments... our Celinda flew away on angels' wings Sunday morning. Forty-five, mother of an eight and eighteen year old, she passed quietly, after spending three days saying goodbyes, and touching the hearts of over 100 people that came to her bedside. She is free now, an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Magpie Sundance. An inevitable and very human experience.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, so sad about Celinda. I know her family and friends are thankful for those days of love and goodbyes.

    For me the Dali piece seems to represent the way time fractures and distorts our memories. We often remember events the way we choose to instead of the way they really were.

    ReplyDelete
  23. magnificent poem and great images!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Sundance just stopping by to tell you that I posted a photo on my blog just for you! Go have a look see.

    ReplyDelete